1. When will the Employer Interim Reconciliation for the 2021/2022 filing season commence?
The 2021/2022 Interim Reconciliation submission dates can be confirmed on the SARS website by clicking here. The information is located under the Business Requirement Specifications (BRS) and timelines section.
2. When is the deadline to submit my EMP501 reconciliation to SARS?
The 2020/2021 Interim Reconciliation submission dates can be confirmed on the SARS website by clicking here. The information is located under the Business Requirement Specifications (BRS) and timelines section.
3. Is it mandatory to submit my Interim Reconciliation to SARS?
Yes, not submitting your reconciliation might result in interest and penalties.
4. How can I submit my Interim EMP501 Reconciliation to SARS?
These submissions can be made via one of the following channels:
- Manual – complete the relevant tax certificates (50 certificates) and return on the specified forms on eFiling, and submit electronically to SARS or visit a SARS branch for assistance
- Electronic – Generate a tax certificate file from the payroll system and import this file into [email protected]™ Employer. Within [email protected]™ Employer, capture additional manual certificates, cancel certificates, capture EMP501 details, and submit to SARS via the eFiling online channel.
- If the employer has 50 or fewer IRP5/IT3(a) certificates, a tax certificate file can be generated from the payroll system and this file can be imported into eFiling. Any amendments to or cancellation of or capturing of certificates can be done in eFiling if the total number of certificates does not exceed 50.
NOTE: Sage CSV import files for the 2021-2022 tax year are created according to the latest Business Requirements Specification and import files are tested only on [email protected] software. No testing platforms are available on eFiling.
5. What is the version of the Sage software I need to be on to submit my reconciliation to SARS?
Your payroll software must be on Release 5.7a, which must be installed before generating your IRP5 file to import and submit to SARS. Click here for more details on this update.
6. Where can I find the specifications of the IRP5 submission file?
The 2021/2022 Business Requirement Specification is available on the SARS website and the latest BRS can be accessed on the SARS website by clicking here.
7. Where can I find more information on how to complete my declaration?
A step-by-step guide to the Employer Reconciliation Process is available on the SARS website and can be accessed by clicking here.
8. When should I provide my employees with their tax certificates?
The Interim Reconciliation submission is not a final submission so no certificates must be given to employees. Both the Sage and SARS software will not generate any tax certificates.
9. How long should I be required to keep the documentation for my employees?
As per the Tax Administrations Act, the Employer must keep records of remuneration, tax-deductible deductions, and Income Tax reference numbers of their employees for a period of 5 years from the date of submission of their returns.
NOTE: If you have been audited by SARS, you might be instructed to keep records for even longer periods.
10. Where can I find more information regarding the Employment Tax Incentive (ETI) refund process?
Details on the refund process are available on the SARS website by clicking here.
11. What can the support desk assist with during the Interim Reconciliation process?
Click here for more information
12. Where can I search for self-help documentation to assist me with the reconciliation and submission process?
All documentation to assist you with the reconciliation and submission process can be found on our dedicated Midyear Centre page on Sage City and covers all payroll aspects of the Interim Reconciliation.
Click here to access the page.
13. If there are differences in the EMP501 Reconciliation report, how do I fix the differences?
If there are differences in the EMP501 Reconciliation report you will need to investigate the reasons for the differences before submitting it. The following reports can be printed to investigate the differences:
Should you have any Compliance related questions/queries, they should be addressed to SARS or your Tax practitioner
14. If I need assistance with my Interim Reconciliation, what options does Sage offer?
You have the following options to assist you:
- Sage City Mid-year Resource Centre
- Training workshops
- Sage Knowledgebase
- Live chat via the application
- Request Assistance via a Webform
15. I have generated my EMP501 recon report and I have differences every month, how is that possible?
There are various reasons that might cause this issue:
- Transfers of employees between companies with different PAYE numbers
- History Screen changes
- Changes made after payroll closed
- Recalculations are done after payroll closed
Once you have established the cause, changes should be made on declarations or on the payroll, to correct the issue. We recommend booking a consultant to assist with the investigation and apply corrections.