The ETI Validation Utility validates the ETI periods, sets, amounts as well as selected setup related issues of the current tax year. The utility will allow you to export the ETI data, perform review and corrections where required, and import the newly corrected information into the payroll.
During the 2020 RSA mid-year reconciliation period, it came to our attention that some customer’s Employment Tax Incentive (ETI) company setups are incorrect resulting in incorrect amounts utilised. A new in-system tool is now available for Sage VIP Classic and Sage VIP Premier customers to validate the ETI setup.
- Release 5.5a systems - Click here for the process on how to download and install the ETI Validation tool.
- Later releases of the software have the utility incorporated, so no separate download is necessary (unless specified).
- How do I access the ETI Validation Tool?
- Step 1 - Validate ETI Setup and Data
- Step 2 - Extract Data and Amend
Click on Step 2 - Extract Data and Amend
All the Employee ETI History data will be extracted for the current Tax Year. Detailed notes accompany this step.
You may amend history data on the Excel Sheet, as per the Validation Report in Step 1. This is optional.
NOTE: We strongly advise you to book a consultation with your Business Partner if you are unsure about any of these details. Click here to book a consultation
You may select to recalculate ETI Sets, Periods and Incentive values. Please consult the <Notes> for details pertaining to the functionality of this Excel Workbook
ETI Export Selections
The ETI data will be extracted from the beginning of the Tax Year up until the current Processing Period.
The following selections can be made:
- Select the Range of Employees (All employees, Range of Employees,Department, Paypoint,Category, Paterson,Manager, RSC Code)
- Export Employees (Active Employees, Terminated Employees, All Employees, Current New and/or Term). We recommend you to select All Employees, as there can be ETI on terminated employees
- Sort Sequence (Sort Name, Employee Code, Department, Paypoint, Category, R.S.C Code, Paterson, Job Title, Manager)
- Click on Export
- File successfully created Employee records exported: XX, Select OK
- An Excel Workbook will open with the ETI Validation Process
- ETI Validation Process - Step 2
CAUTION: If you have not made a Backup, please do so now before continuing with these options.
Notes - The user can select the Notes bar to read for further assistance
- Option 1. Manual History Adjustments
Use this option to review and amend any ETI History information that will influence the calculation of the Tax Incentive.
- This is the Employee ETI History data for the current Tax Year
- You may amend the history data on this Excel Sheet, as per the Validation Report in Step 1
- This data is used to recalculate the ETI Sets, Periods and Incentive values in Option 2
- For a detailed explanation of each field on this sheet, please consult the <Import Guidelines> found under: Main Menu > Utilities > ETI > ETI Validation
NOTE: We strongly advise you to book a consultation with your Business Partner if you are unsure about any of these details.
- You can Save this Excel Workbook at any time.
- You can Run Recalculation of Option 2 multiple times.
- When you are done, click on Back to Menu and select the next step.
- If you have made all the applicable amendments on this sheet, go Back to the Menu and proceed with Option 2. Run Recalculation of ETI Sets, Periods and Tax Incentives.
- This is the Employee ETI History data for the current Tax Year
- Option 2. Run Recalculation of ETI Sets, Periods and Tax Incentives
- Before you run the recalculation ensure that all Manual History Adjustments have been made.
- The History Adjustments will influence the calculation of ETI Sets, Periods and Tax Incentive values.
- When you run the recalculation a few extra columns will be added to the sheet.
- If the company wants to claim the higher value, adjust the value in the "Tax Incentive To Import" column with the value that must be imported.
NOTE: If values that are imported differ from the values already declared on the EMP201 reports, they will need to be restated and may result in penalties.
- Would you like to proceed with the Recalculation ?
- Select OK or Cancel
- An Excel Workbook will generate displaying the recalculated information
- Option 3. Create Import File
When you select this option you have 3 options:
- Import all data except Incentives - this option will create an import file with all data, including changes made to fields, recalculated ETI Sets and Period. Newly calculated Incentive values will not be included. The original Incentive values will be kept.
- Import All Data- this option will create an import file with all the data, including changes made to fields, recalculated ETI Sets and Periods as well as the Incentive values as per the "Tax Incentive To Import" column.
- Cancel - this will cancel the action and take you back to the Menu.
- The Import options will prompt you to select a destination path to save the import file to. Make a note of the location as you will need it when importing the file into the payroll.
- The default file name will be IMP-ETI.csv.
- Please DO NOT open the saved csv file in Excel. It will change the formatting of the fields and you will not be able to import the file successfully.
- Option 4. Import File
- Step 3 - Import Amended ETI File
Import the file which you saved at the end of the previous step, in the destination folder of your choice.
After successfully importing th file, you could go back to Step 1 to validate the ETI Setup and Employee data again to ensure that everything is correct now.
NOTE: It is advisable to BACKUP before continuing with this option. Click here for the steps on how to make a backup
- Click on Browse to indicate where the Import file is located
- Please Enter the name of the Import file
- Click on Import
- Once you have imported the file we recommend that you run Step 1 again to ensure that your validation errors/warnings are resolved
NOTE: Once you have completed Step 1 to 3 of the ETI Validation tool, you can run Step 1 of ETI Validation to validate if the mentioned errors have been corrected. Some errors on the report can be valid, thus can be ignored if your ETI setup is correct.
Need assistance? Have a question regarding ETI? Click here to log your ETI query.
Watch a short video on the process to export the ETI Validation tool